Tiger Woods lucky to be alive | Sunday Observer

Tiger Woods lucky to be alive

28 February, 2021

LOMITA, Calif. — Shortly after 7 a.m on Tuesday morning, a Los Angeles County sheriff’s deputy arrived at the scene of a one-car rollover crash on a notoriously treacherous stretch of road near Rancho Palos Verdes.

Deputy Carlos Gonzalez approached the overturned SUV and found the driver “lucid and calm” despite being trapped inside the mangled vehicle.

“What’s your name?” Gonzalez asked.

“Tiger,” the man responded.

Tiger Woods is “very fortunate to come out of this alive,” Gonzalez said Tuesday afternoon at a news conference outside the sheriff’s office in Lomita. Los Angeles County Fire Department personnel had to use tools to extricate Woods from the vehicle through the windshield.

Woods was transported to Harbor-UCLA Medical Center with injuries to both legs that were described as serious but “non-life-threatening.” By late Tuesday night, his team said in a statement that he was “awake, responsive and recovering at the hospital” after undergoing a “long surgical procedure on his lower right leg and ankle.”

As part of the official statement on Woods’ Twitter account, Dr. Aniish Mahajan, the hospital’s interim CEO, said that the golfer suffered “comminuted open fractures” affecting both the tibia and fibula bones in his right leg. That suggests the bones were broken into more than two pieces and had broken through the skin.

Mahajan said Woods had a rod placed in his tibia and screws and pins inserted into his foot and ankle during surgery to stabilize them. Damage to the muscle and soft-tissue of the leg also required “a surgical release of the covering of the muscles to relieve pressure due to swelling.”

LA County Sheriff Alex Villanueva indicated there was “no evidence of impairment” when observing Woods at the scene. Officers saw no signs that Woods was under the influence of narcotics or pain medicine, according to Villanueva, nor did they smell alcohol on his breath. (Yahoo sports)