Friday, April 4, 2025

Send an honest team to Parliament to enable political transformation – Sunil Handunneththi

Insults and mud-slinging, a thing of the past:

by malinga
October 20, 2024 1:05 am 0 comment 848 views

National Executive Member of the National People’s Power (NPP) Sunil Handunneththi said that the people at the November 14 General Election should send an honest and capable team to Parliament who can give a new dimension to the political transformation that has taken place in the country. In an interview with the Sunday Observer Handunneththi said that the NPP has put an end to the political culture which hurled insults and slung mud at their political opponents.

The NPP frontliner hopes that a Government which listens and respects the views of political opponents and an Opposition which puts forward constructive criticism will be presented in Parliament. He said the power of Parliament should go to a team of policymakers. When the political culture subjected to thuggery, money and the elite class is shifted to genuine and qualified people, the youth should be its major force.

Excerpts of the interview

Q: A large number of former Parliamentarians has decided against contesting the upcoming General Election following the victory of the National People’s Power (NPP) at the recently concluded Presidential Election. How do you view this new political transformation in the country?

A: Actually, this is a victory achieved by the people. As a result of the mandate given by the people to the NPP at the recently concluded Presidential Election, the outcome of the upcoming General Election is also evident. These politicians realised in advance that they have been rejected by the people in toto and they have decided not to contest the election. They also feel that if they contest the election and win, it would be futile. They know for certain that they won’t receive vehicle permits, security personnel, official residences and would not be in a position to indulge in corruption. Even if they are in the Opposition, they are well aware they would not be able to resort to their old corrupt practices. Therefore, a large number of former Parliamentarians had decided to quit politics and avoid contesting the election.

Q: As President Anura Kumara Dissanayake said the NPP Government, for the first time, had introduced the word “retirement” into Sri Lankan politics where none of the politicians had retired in the past, other than those who had been defeated or had died. Would you comment?

A: The word retirement did not exist in politics so far. It is only in the public service where employees retire when they reach retirement age. In politics, there were no such retirements; either politicians are defeated at the election or die. For the first time, the word retirement was included in politics due to the decision by the people at the last Presidential Election.

Therefore, that honour should also go to the people as it has paved the way to create a new political culture. Earlier, we had a history where politicians engaged in politics until they became enfeebled and went on wheelchairs. They felt that politics can continue from generation to generation. Today the Rajapaksa generation has ended their politics. That is why since the inception, the NPP had said that the country’s power should be shifted from the elite class to the ordinary people.

The new political transformation has now commenced. People at the November 14 General Election should send an honest and capable team to Parliament who can give a new dimension to the political transformation in the country.

We have put an end to the political culture which hurled insults and slung mud at political opponents. During our lifetime, we have witnessed various incidents in the country such as Vellupillai Prabhakaran’s war, 1988-89 violence, Tsunami, landslides and the Covid-19 pandemic. However, all that we witnessed in the past were either tragedies or catastrophes. For the first time, we now have a good ruler and this is a people’s victory. People should think as to how this victory should be ensured and move forward.

Q: It is anticipated that there will be more youth and women representation in the new Parliament. Do you think more capable youth and women should represent the new Parliament?

A: Definitely. The power of Parliament should go to a team of policymakers. When the political culture subjected to thuggery, money and the elite class is shifted to genuine and qualified people, the youth should be the major force. The NPP National List comprises professionals in various sectors. For the first time, the NPP has submitted a nomination list which has even given representation to differentl- abled people. Anybody who doesn’t have professional skills has not been included into our National List. Actually, this should be the case. Instead of nominating those who cannot contest from their districts into the National List, we have introduced a new political culture. I think this would pave the way to take the country forward.

Q: You had told the media that the best Parliament will be created after the November 14 General Election. Are you confident of creating such a people-friendly Parliament after the polls?

A: Certainly. People are not ready to part with the victory they had achieved. We don’t want to have bargaining power to move forward our journey. We don’t offer perks, privileges and ministerial portfolios to target North, East and upcountry votes. Instead of getting involved in such politics of giving bribes to consolidate power, we need to commence a process which addresses the issues of the people and provides solutions to them. We hope a Government which listens and respects the views of political opponents and an Opposition which puts forward constructive criticism will be created in Parliament.

Q: Can you assure that the new Government to be formed would expedite the investigations into the Easter Sunday attacks and the Central Bank bond scam?

A: Definitely. This is one of the key pledges we have given to the people. We are only held accountable for our political manifesto and we have no personal affiliations. Therefore, we believe we could implement law and order properly and equally. Especially, the people expect those who had misused public funds and properties in recent times will be brought to book. We also know of various instances of harassments for journalists and disappearances of some journalists. It was discussed during the past several elections to mete out justice to the Easter Sunday victims and bring the culprits of the Central Bank bond scam to book. Some former leaders came to power under the pretext of these incidents pledging to bring the culprits to book. Those who had been allegedly involved in those incidents will be brought before the law but we will not take the law into our hands.

Q: The Samagi Jana Balawegaya (SJB) says if former President Ranil Wickremesinghe didn’t contest the Presidential Election, they would have secured victory at the election. Is there any validity in this argument put forward by the SJB?

A: This is mere speculation by them on the outcome of the election results. They should have thought about this earlier and that is what politics means. Then we can also say that if Ranil Wickremesinghe and Sajith Premadasa didn’t contest, we would have secured more votes.

Q: At present, various crises have surfaced within the SJB and some frontliners had quit the party while the names of some prominent SJB members have been exempted from the nomination lists. Your views?

A: These political parties centre on certain individuals. That is why such crises surface in those parties. Actually, they don’t form political parties and engage in politics. They promote certain individuals and engage in politics. When such people face a crisis, ultimately their parties will also face a crisis. We are completely different from them. If we come down to zero, we will not face such a crisis because we form parties, not persons. That is why when the percentage of our votes dropped to mere three percent, we didn’t face any such personal crisis. At the recently concluded Presidential Election, the percentage of our votes was increased from three percent to 42 percent and it increased to 55 percent at the second counting as we are not a political party centred on certain individuals. Actually, if the SJB wants, they can learn from us.

Q: Certain disgruntled elements who cannot tolerate the paradigm shift in the country say that this Government will not exist for long. Would you like to air your views?

A: We should not take their comments seriously. Earlier they created misconceptions saying that various unfavourable incidents will take place after the NPP assumes office.

As nothing untoward happened, now they say that the Government will collapse in April next year. When their dream is shattered, they may say that the Government will collapse in December. They will tell something to hoodwink the people but we should not take their comments seriously.

Q: What is the progress regarding the ongoing negotiations with the IMF? Will the Government renegotiate certain terms and conditions in the IMF agreement?

A: It is very obvious that if the IMF doesn’t agree to renegotiate, there won’t be any discussions. Commencing discussions mean that we could reach a consensus with the IMF.

Q: How do you view the new political culture in the country after the NPP victory at the Presidential Election?

A: Actually, this didn’t happen haphazardly. This is what the people had expected for a long time. Actually, this is the result of the Aragalaya. It was the Aragalaya which created the groundwork for this. This transitional period was created due to the Aragalaya. It was the beginning of a new social transformation but it hasn’t been completed as yet. We hope we will be able to complete this task within the next few years in a more successful manner with the help of the people. The most important aspect is that the supremacy of power has been proved and that it is with the people. At present, we all know that the country is ruled by the people. That is the biggest victory achieved as a result of this political transformation.

Q: Earlier, you filed a Fundamental Rights petition in the Supreme Court seeking legal action against those responsible for the so-called sugar scam. Will the new Government expedite investigations into this?

A: Actually, it is before the law. It will be investigated further and then we will submit our facts.

Q: What is your message to the voters for the November 14 General Election?

A: We call upon the people to extend their support to create a strong power in Parliament which would pave the way for us to carry out the program initiated by President Anura Kumara Dissanayake to create a rich country with a beautiful life.

You may also like

Leave a Comment

lakehouse-logo

The Sunday Observer is the oldest and most circulated weekly English-language newspaper in Sri Lanka since 1928

[email protected] 
Newspaper Advertising : +94777387632
Digital Media Ads : 0777271960
Classifieds & Matrimonial : 0777270067
General Inquiries : 0112 429429

Facebook Page

@2025 All Right Reserved. Designed and Developed by Lakehouse IT Division