All generators at the Lakvijaya Power Plant in Norochcholai, which had been non-operational following the recent islandwide power outage, have now been fully restored and reconnected to the national grid.
A spokesperson for the power plant said two generators have already been connected to the national grid, while the third generator can also be connected, if necessary.
Following the islandwide blackout on February 9, the Norochcholai Power Plant’s protocol system was activated, causing all three generators to shut down. This had resulted in a loss of 900 Megawatts of electricity to the national grid.
In response, the Ceylon Electricity Board (CEB) imposed islandwide power cuts, lasting one-and-a-half-hours on February 10 and 11, and one-hour on February 12 on a staggered basis depending on the province.
However, by Friday morning (February 14), the third generator of the Norochcholai Power Plant was successfully reconnected to the system. Subsequently, the Ministry of Energy said on Friday (February14) that daily power cuts would be discontinued.
With the first generator, which had remained idle, also connected to the national grid yesterday afternoon, the Norochcholai Power Plant now contributes 600 Megawatts of electricity to the national grid and can go up to 900 Megawatts on demand.